24 Hour Renton WA Locksmith: When To Replace Locks
It is important that locks are replaced as needed. There are many different scenarios that would warrant a change of locks, and 24 Hour Renton WA Locksmith has been kind enough to outline some of these scenarios so readers can know when they should invest in new locks. You might be on the fence about switching out your locks, maybe because you see it as a waste of money, or perhaps because you aren’t sure that it is really necessary to do so.
Check out the list provided by these Renton, Washington experts and see if you need to buy a new set of locks!
- When buying a house, you should have the locks replaced. When you buy a home, even if it is brand new and you are the first owner, you have to keep in mind that numerous people likely had access to your home. Contractors, realtors and other individuals might have been able to obtain a copy of your key. This isn’t to say that most people are not trustworthy, but the fact is, some are not, and it is best not to take chances, especially when it comes to your family and valuables. So if you bought a home and are on the fence about switching out the locks, talk with a local locksmith to get their expert opinion and to make an appointment.
- If you lost your key, you should have your locks replaced. Even if a person returned the key to you somehow, who is to say that they didn’t make a copy? And if your key wasn’t returned to you, it could have been picked up by a person with bad intentions. The majority of burglaries in the United States actually occur using the front door, so if you lost the key that opens the main point of entry into your home, it is a good idea to change the locks immediately.
- If an employee is terminated from your business that previously held a key, make sure to change the locks. It doesn’t matter how much you trusted this person. Even if they returned their key to you, and didn’t make a copy of their copy, another person could have gotten their hands on it and done so. Rekeying locks is also an option in a scenario such as this. But make sure that whether you fired an employee or they left on their own, that you rekey or change your locks if they ever had access to a key.
- If you rent a room in your home and have the person move out, it is a wise idea to switch out the locks. Similar to a person leaving a company, it doesn’t matter if you trust this individual or not – a person with ill-intentions could have somehow gotten their hands on the key.
- Replace the locks if your property was broken into. You might be able to visibly see the locks are broken. Or maybe you have to wiggle your key around inside to get it to work, or maybe the key has even gotten stuck a couple of times. It is important that you assume the worst, and assume the burglar could have gotten a copy of your key. Changing the locks will ensure that they are unable to get back in due to having a key or due to the locks not working properly because they are broken.
- Change your locks if you don’t like their look. Of course, this is less urgent than some of the other situations mentioned, but if you don’t like the overall look of your locks, then you should know that you have plenty of other options. There are all sorts of brands like Mul-T-Lock, Kaba, Yale, Schlage, Medeco and more that create various locks made of different materials. All of them have a different look and some might match your front door better than others. See what is available if you don’t like what you have. This is a case that would warrant a lock change rather than rekeying locks, as rekeying just changes the pins inside so that a different key will work.
Talk to a professional!
These are some of the most common situations which would call for a change of locks. Remember that if you have a commercial property or residence, it stores valuables and should be a place in which you feel safe. If locks are malfunctioning in any way, or if a person with bad intentions managed to get a copy of your key, then it is important you take the time to have them switched out. This is something that you can easily call a local locksmith for.
Those in Renton, WA can get on the phone with 24 Hour Renton WA Locksmith for assistance. This is a company which offers 24 hour a day help so that problems can be resolved as quickly as possible. If you live in another part of the country, then do your research. Do a search online for locksmiths in your city, and check their reviews. Make sure they have a great reputation. Also be sure that they provide you with an upfront price quote for the job. You should find that they offer very fair prices, being a local business, and you should find that they are very willing to offer any information that you are looking for.
Installing locks is something which should be done by a professional to ensure everything is done properly. A small mistake during installation could leave you with a lock which malfunctions, and this defeats the purpose of having locks in the first place.
Make sure your home, office, vehicle and any other property is properly locked up. Ensure that old locks are swapped out with new ones in any of the aforementioned situations.
emember, if you are wondering whether or not you should change or rekey your locks, then you probably should!